The Origins of "Humans of UNL"

 
Dear Reader,

Thank you for finding your way to my small corner of the Internet. I started this project, Humans of UNL, in the summer of 2019 in connection to a graduate course I was taking through the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's College of Journalism. Focused in digital media and analytics, part of our course work included creating a Blogger website and writing five posts throughout our five-week course, then use the visitor data to make strategic recommendations.

My first reaction, upon reading the course syllabus, was a sigh; another course where I have to create another blog. As I wracked my mind on what topic I should select for this course, I was inspired by my recent birthday and goal to write thank-you letters to those who have impacted my life so far. There are far too many to count, and many who may not have an idea just how much they have impacted me. But they are important to me, and their story and our story together has become a small, yet crucial part of my story.

I am not someone who considers myself a person of great skill with a brush or empty canvas or raw clay; but I do, however, have a certain fondness and small skill with words.

Inspiration came to me from the popular storytelling page, Humans of New York. I loved the idea of interviewing everyday people that you pass by on the streets, but maybe never take the time to learn their story. In my experience both as a student at UNL, alumni and staff member, I know there are many people on campus that I have passed by and although I may have wondered, I never stopped to ask for their story.
Realizing it would take too long to build a strong following to style daily, anonymous postings of Huskers, and driven by a desire to tell the stories of those who have impacted me but maybe have not had their whole story told yet, the Humans of UNL project was born. 
This blog is my attempt to say thank you to those who have impacted me (although there are many more stories I would need to write to thank everyone), as well as share the inspiring stories of UNL students, faculty, staff and alumni. In each story, I hope you'll find the grit that Huskers are famous for, and feel the same glory I have to have known each of these individuals.

All I ask from you, dear reader, is your respect of my writing and these individuals' stories as you glean a peek into our lives. Of course, if there is another Husker you feel should be included in this series, please feel free to contact me via email or tag #HumansofUNL on social media.

Enjoy your reading, and Go Big Red!

Sincerely,

Courtney Van Hoosen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On being differently-abled, leadership and love: An interview with Victo Nalule

On agriculture, discovery and diversity: An interview with Agustín Olivo

On educating, hospitality, and innovation: An interview with Dipra Jha